Thursday 31 July 2014

Op shop prices - what's going on?

I love treasure hunting at op shops. 

Lately, I've been surprised at the prices of some items.

For example, yesterday I went to an op shop. I noticed they had Little Golden Books on the shelf without any prices on them.

I asked the lovely lady behind the counter, how much the books were.

She replied, "$10.00 each".

Yes, $10.00!!!!

Now, I understand that opportunity shops do such a fabulous job at helping the poor, but $10.00 for a Little Golden Book? Um, no.



Last year I volunteered at my son's school fete to work on the book stall. 

The prices were way too much and there were a zillion books for sale. Not much was getting sold and that meant that the school wasn't getting the funds it should have. 

My theory is that people will buy more if the price is reasonable. Everyone loves a bargain.

It wasn't until later in the day, when the book stalls prices went down, that the stock started to move.

I think that op shops need to price their stock so it doesn't collect dust on the shelves and makes room for more stock and that means more money.

I understand that people buy from their stores and then put the items on eBay or sell them at the markets for a profit. Most people I know that sell used goods buy their stock from garage sales because it is significantly cheaper.

On the plus side though, I did get a bargain during yesterday's op shopping adventure. I found a vintage 'Learn to Crochet' book and it was only $1.00.

Looking forward to crocheting a granny square in the near future.



No comments:

Post a Comment